01. How’s this for a PoDN*? I reckon it’s fabulouso – it’s near Vegas, it’s called Seven Magic Mountains, and it’s by Ugo Rondinone.
02. I’ve had an enormous week of fun – The Pearl Fishers (best performance I’ve seen of this opera); three 5am starts for Eurovision semis and final (worth getting up at stupid-o’clock for); The Sound of Music musical (the film remains the best but maybe I have a Matilda the Musical hangover that will never go away?); and yesterday I saw Rosalie Ham speak about The Dressmaker and other things (Hemsworth got a mention).
03. The fun stopped yesterday though. My computer upgraded itself (or maybe one of my delightful children hit the wrong button) to Windows 10 and it’s no secret that it’s shit. And I’ve now lost access to my email and even thinking about trying to sort out that problem is too much to bear. Everyone, please send snail-mail until further notice.
04. Today I’m also going to hold undies and ask myself if they spark joy.
05. What, with computer crap and talking to my clothes, it’s safe to assume that I’ll need a very large glass of gin at the end of the day *fills ice cube tray now*
06. It’s things like this tweet that make me curious about the Franzen talk I’m going to soon. Had you seen this latest bit of other-authors-hating-Franzen, Jenny? (This is the Franzen turd sandwich that Shipstead is referring to.)
07. It’s killing me that I’m not dropping everything for the new Lionel Shriver. I’ve got a sample at least… *Book-buying-ban continues but no one has given me a medal yet*
08. A shout-out to Susan at A Life in Books – her round-ups of new releases each month are thrilling (but also throw me into the depths of despair – see above).
09. Look at this film news Madame Bibilophile!
10. I’m going to cry buckets when I see the film version of The Light Between the Oceans, aren’t I?
Bookish Thoughts is hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous. Pop over and say hi.
*Pop of Desert Neon
Funny that you had a computer update this week. I had to update my phone (I’d been putting it off for ages) and now it won’t recharge unless completely switched off. I guess that was one way to force me to upgrade my handset. Grrrr.
Tech issues are the one thing that make me incredibly anxious – I think it’s because I’m fully aware that I have zero understanding and that fixing problems either involves hours on the phone to help desks or lots of $$ (or both).
I’m excited! As the author has written the screenplay I’m hopeful it won’t be one of the film adaptations that completely mess with the novel (I will never forgive Harold Pinter for The Handmaid’s Tale – never)
Number 4 😀
Same – I figure when the author is involved in the screen play the story won’t be buggered up. A great example is Irving’s Cider House Rules – the movie only covers a third of what’s in the book but because Irving himself wrote the screenplay, it all works.
no 4: I’ve said “Thank you for your service” to a lot of cardigans & tops with asymmetrical hems today.
Lovely shoutout! Thank you, Kate, and much sympathy with those tech problems. I hope they’re sorted soon.
Thank you for your posts – I like to know what I’m missing out on 😉
After an hour on the phone yesterday, my email is restored and I’m feeling greatly relieved. Who knows why but I find tech problems all-consuming until they’re sorted.
It’s not until they happen that you realise quite how dependent you are on technology. Glad to hear your email’s back.
Oh My Goodness -I had NO idea they were making a movie of Light Between Oceans…whoa that trailer looks amazing!!!!
I reckon I’ll need a big box of tissues – felt sad just watching the trailer!
Good luck with that sparking joy business! I Kondo-ized my sock drawer, and I do have to say that it made a difference.
Oh, GRRR, I hate updates! I never know what will happen afterwards…and the first time I updated my iPhone, I thought I had killed it. But it just took a long time. However, all of my little icons were buried under other stuff. My thirteen-year-old grandson sorted it for me. LOL.
Now I’m curious about what new thing is happening with Franzen…
Here’s MY BOOKISH THURSDAY POST
Oh, and I checked out your “spoiler” post (The Other Typist). Lots of great thoughts there!
I got my hands on The Light Between the Oceans but I’m mentally preparing myself before picking up the book xD The trailer for the movie looks fantastic though 😀
It’s a great story – block out some time because it’s engrossing!
Oh my gosh. How did I not know about the sculpture in Vegas?! I live there. It looks fantastic! Although, I do wonder which direction outside of Vegas… I’m going to have to research this. Thank you! 😀
Fairly sure I read it was only about 15 miles out of town. I’ll look forward to your own photos of it 😀
I haven’t read the book and actually had no idea what it was about…. Wow! And Michael Fassbender? Yay!