01. How’s this for a PoDN*? I reckon it’s fabulouso – it’s near Vegas, it’s called Seven Magic Mountains, and it’s by Ugo Rondinone.
02. I’ve had an enormous week of fun – The Pearl Fishers (best performance I’ve seen of this opera); three 5am starts for Eurovision semis and final (worth getting up at stupid-o’clock for); The Sound of Music musical (the film remains the best but maybe I have a Matilda the Musical hangover that will never go away?); and yesterday I saw Rosalie Ham speak about The Dressmaker and other things (Hemsworth got a mention).
03. The fun stopped yesterday though. My computer upgraded itself (or maybe one of my delightful children hit the wrong button) to Windows 10 and it’s no secret that it’s shit. And I’ve now lost access to my email and even thinking about trying to sort out that problem is too much to bear. Everyone, please send snail-mail until further notice.
04. Today I’m also going to hold undies and ask myself if they spark joy.
05. What, with computer crap and talking to my clothes, it’s safe to assume that I’ll need a very large glass of gin at the end of the day *fills ice cube tray now*
06. It’s things like this tweet that make me curious about the Franzen talk I’m going to soon. Had you seen this latest bit of other-authors-hating-Franzen, Jenny? (This is the Franzen turd sandwich that Shipstead is referring to.)
07. It’s killing me that I’m not dropping everything for the new Lionel Shriver. I’ve got a sample at least… *Book-buying-ban continues but no one has given me a medal yet*
08. A shout-out to Susan at A Life in Books – her round-ups of new releases each month are thrilling (but also throw me into the depths of despair – see above).
10. I’m going to cry buckets when I see the film version of The Light Between the Oceans, aren’t I?
Bookish Thoughts is hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous. Pop over and say hi.
*Pop of Desert Neon