01. I’m sure Australia’s bushfires have made world news. The stats* are staggering and almost incomprehensible. I won’t turn this into a rant about our government’s lack of action (no, even acknowledgment) on climate change but this article is worth a read.
“Australia is the canary in the coal mine.”
02. Post Christmas, my TBR stack blew out to 317…
03. Is it too early to start thinking about Stella Prize predictions?
04. This article on reading books in the age of the internet.
05. My family is heading into peak-board-game-playing-season, so this tweet made me laugh.
06. I’m a huge fan of river beaches and one finally made the list of Australia’s best beaches.
07. This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay – the comedy show.
09. ‘Without women the novel would die’ – interesting.
10. I think the Australian cover better represents the story, but the US cover of Charlotte Wood’s The Weekend is gorgeous nonetheless.
Bookish Thoughts is hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous. Pop by, say hi.
*At last count:
- 11.3 million acres destroyed (the Amazon fires were 2.24 million acres) – this area is bigger than the Netherlands
- 2500 buildings destroyed, and thousands of people displaced
- 21 people dead but six more unaccounted for (this is far less than the Black Saturday fires, mostly because legislation put in place after those fires enabled the state government to force evacuations)
- 480 million animals killed.