I’m a Pollyanna by nature and sure, it’s already been such a long year and I might not be feeling so cheery in a month, but at the moment I’m feeling positive about the following:
- Chatting with friends on the phone. It feels like the eighties – calling people and wondering if they’re free for a chat… and they are! And then an hour whizzes by, and you are reminded how ace it is to have long chats. Related: I bought a super phone headset – it was an extravagance but given that I’m about to put in a lot of phone time, I decided it was an OH&S investment.
- That #ALLTHEENTERTAINERS have made so much available online. SBS OnDemand have loads of stuff (they always did, but they seem to have added even more); the Victorian Arts Centre is streaming all sorts of performances (I watched this excellent cabaret about the life of Edith Piaf yesterday); the Melbourne International Comedy Festival is delivering 26 days of comedy, and the list goes on and on.
- That I can live stream the Stella Prize announcement.
- Tackling some household tasks that have long needed attention – I’ll be putting my recipes in order; sorting some photos; having a general cleanout; and if anyone tells me that they’re bored, I’m sending them into the garden to remove dandelions from the lawn (this job needs a long and sustained effort).
- Our tournament of board games and that it’s jigsaw puzzle central at our place (we almost always have a puzzle out but I imagine we will increase the work rate over the next few months).
- Plans for our own Not-Quite-Eurovision night – we’ll wear our Eurovision tees; watch all the clips, and hand out our points.
- Daily meditation sessions – I’m trying to get the kids into the habit.
- Getting a response from the LitHub crew about what to read next (I’m obviously not short of books but I am curious to see what they recommend). For the reord, the three books I listed as ‘most recently enjoyed’ were The Dutch House by Anne Patchett; Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe; and The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs.
In the middle of the chaos and uncertainty, what are yo feeling positive about?