01. We had our annual international night with friends last week. This year’s country was Argentina – empanadas, Quilmes, Provoleta, Malbec, big steaks, chimichurri, sweet potato jelly (!) and Argentina’s answer to chocolate ripple cake (before you go rushing to make this cake, know that is was almost unbearably sweet – I’ll stick with the empanadas and grilled cheese).
02. The Wellcome Book Prize longlist has been announced – yay for The Trauma Cleaner! If I wasn’t focused on the Stella Prize, I’d be reading lots of these titles (instead I’m going to let Bookish Beck’s shadow panel help me decide which ones can’t be missed).
03. This discussion about the Stella Prize judges’ comments over at Whispering Gums.
04. I said last week that Zero Gravity had Eurovision written all over it… I was right. She doesn’t need to change a single thing, it’s Eurovision-ready.
05. Not your usual library.
06. Isn’t it weird that they’re making podcasts into tv series…? But I’ll watch.
07. Speaking of podcasts, I’m currently hooked on Broken Harts.
08. There will always be difficulties about the ‘facts’ used in historical fiction. I had reservations about The Tattooist of Auschwitz – this article by the Auschwitz Memorial Research Center is very interesting.
10. I’m unlikely to make this (because strawberries and passionfruit go on pavlova) but isn’t it gorgeous? High chance I will make the mandarin curd though.
Bookish Thoughts is hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous. Pop by, say hi.