As always, Bookish Thoughts is hosted by the lovely Christine.
1. Summer is here – yay!
2. I’m re-reading Flowers in the Attic – it’s so terrible I can’t stop.
3. I squeezed in a Good Food Month event: Craft of Louisiana at Po’ Boy Quarter / Huey Long’s – a five-course Louisiana degustation menu matched with cocktails and craft beers. Highlights: Creole Jambalaya Arancini with Parmesan Wafers and Bloody Mary Mayo, and Shrimp Remoulade with Fried Green Tomatoes. The gin lemonade at the end went down well, as did the Ramos Gin Fizz Ice Cream with Salted Pecan Crumble.
4. Christmas shopping – I’m done.
5. My 10yo, Finn, was telling his Pa about some animals “David said… and David said…” Pa looked at me questioningly i.e. Who’s David? I said “Finn’s referring to Sir David Attenborough.” They’re on first-name basis, obvs.
6. Reading challenges – haven’t done so well this year and unlikely to finish all of them.
7. Our babysitter now has his driver’s license. This takes things to a whole new level of awesome.
8. ABC’s First Tuesday Book Club counted down the top 10 beach reads on Tuesday night (as voted by viewers). I spent a lot of time shouting at the tele. What’s your definition of a ‘beach read’? Something light, a bit trashy, equivalent of ‘reading junk food’?
9. If you need more books to add to your TBR list, I have just put together a 2014 Best Books List of Lists.
10. Lastly, and most importantly, although this might not mean much to my overseas readers – #putoutyourbats