A few notable bookish things –
2. This list of books that made us cry in 2014. I do love a good cry over a book.
3. NPR’s Book Concierge – a gimmick but fun.
4. Scott’s crap book of the year list made me laugh. Out loud. Especially this bit –
“And finally, to the worst book I have ever read. Amnesia by Peter Carey would never have been published it it were a first novel, or not written by Peter Carey. It has a ludicrous plot, key points of which are nicked from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, that jumps around without any logic. The characters are cunts of the highest order; I wanted them all to die horribly.”
5. And speaking of Best Books of 2014 lists, Ayelet Waldman throwing a hissy-fit over the NYT list is hilarious. But mission accomplished, I wasn’t even aware she had a new book out and now I am.
6. I promised a list of the books most frequently mentioned in the Best Books of 2014 lists – here it is. The top three surprised me (The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters, Lila by Marilynne Robinson and A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James).
And now to the not-so-bookish things –
7. I saw Opera Australia’s new production of Tosca this week. Tosca is in my top five operas, so I was probably always going to enjoy it. But did I expect Tosca in Nazi Germany? No. Amazing. Dagger scene – tops. Final scene (spoiler, Tosca dies) – stunning (not stunning, beautiful but stunning, gut-wrenching).
8. My baby boy (the eldest one) went to his high school orientation this week. Where did the last twelve years go?
9. Excuse me while I go all Pinterest on you. How sweet are these gingerbread terrariums?!
10. See the picture at the very top? I didn’t really need another beach towel… Too late.
Bookish Thoughts is hosted by the lovely Christine.