Christine at Bookishly Boisterous started this meme – get amongst it.
1. Yesterday I went to see Diana, the movie. It’s crap but I knew that going in. It didn’t stop ALL THE TEARS.
2. So all the bookish news is about the Man Booker Prize. I’m quite pleased that the only book I was tempted by on the shortlist, actually won – yay Eleanor Catton.
3. But what I loved most was this email regarding the Man Booker Prize winner – fields of literary wheat, one head remaining standing, warm breezes… Er, what?!
Had you told me ten years ago that I would be having dinner with people I’d met on social media (oh wait…ten years ago…what’s ‘social media’?) I would have thought you were a little loopy. And yet, as soon as I saw @nicmclachlan’s tweet many years ago – “Baby in a cart! Baby in a cart” (about a newborn in a wedding ceremony on a reality tv show) I knew we’d be fast friends. She never fails to crack me up and we’ve bonded over a bunch of things (notably #notcoit, #pleasehold, #nits and #divorceeyes).
Our IRL meeting got me thinking – is meeting through social media really any different from meeting your seventies pen-pal? I never really sustained any pen-pal relationship long enough for a meeting, but not through lack of trying (I suspect my problem was that I was a little too enthusiastic with the letters and was therefore filed under ‘crazy pen-pal-er’).
5. I’m a bit in love with this South Australian tourism campaign. Who knew dirt and carcasses could be so goddamn sexy.
6. It’s not really a Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts post without reference to something I’m coveting. Pop over to Make Me Iconic for FAIRY BREAD PILLOWCASES. I know, adorable.
7. Tomorrow night I’m going to see Kim Wilde and Nik Kershaw in concert. Let’s file it under #ace.