What’s on my radar for 2013? I must admit I haven’t been scouting for news of debut authors although a few books due for release in the next few months have caught my eye.
I imagine that for debut authors it’s all about having a fabulous publisher and publicist. In a market crowded with people trying to get a break, why do some books (written by authors no one has ever heard of) attract attention? The Art of Fielding and Tigers in Red Weather are recent examples that come to mind.
The girls over at The Broke and the Bookish are asking bloggers which debuts they’re looking forward to this year. I’ve gone for quality not quantity with this list (*ahem* my excuse for not coming up with ten!).
1. Little Known Facts by Christine Sneed (released February, 2013)- Sneed has published short stories previously but this is her first novel. I’ve read an ARC (review will be up in a few days) – I loved it.
2. Idiopathy by Sam Byers (released June, 2013) – tangled relationships in the modern world – ace.
3. Heart of Palm by Laura Lee Smith (released April, 2013) – this one is all about the Florida setting for me.
4. Indiscretion by Charles Dubow (released February, 2013) – I’m going to ignore the cover (which doesn’t appeal to me at all) and focus on the early reviews that suggest this debut is riveting.
5. Autobiography of Us by Aria Beth Sloss (released February, 2013) – this might already be my favourite book jacket of 2013.
6. Fractured by Dawn Barker (released February, 2013) – a fictional account of post-natal depression by Australian child psychiatrist, Dr Dawn Barker.