The 2023 Stella Prize longlist has been announced (and I picked two and one supplementary, my worst result yet!):
- The Furies by Mandy Beaumont (Hachette Australia) – fiction
- Every Version of You by Grace Chan (Affirm Press) – fiction
- We Come With This Place by Debra Dank (Echo Publishing) – nonfiction
- big beautiful female theory by Eloise Grills (Affirm Press) – graphic
- The Jaguar by Sarah Holland-Batt (University of Queensland Press) – poetry
- Hydra by Adriane Howell (Transit Lounge) – fiction
- Jack of Hearts: QX11594 by Jackie Huggins & Ngaire Jarro (Magabala Books) – nonfiction
- All That’s Left Unsaid by Tracey Lien (HQ Fiction/HarperCollins Publishers) – fiction
- Indelible City: Dispossession and Defiance in Hong Kong by Louisa Lim (Text Publishing) – nonfiction
- Iris by Fiona Kelly McGregor (Pan Macmillan Australia) – fiction
- Decadence by Thuy On (UWA Publishing) – poetry
- Bad Art Mother by Edwina Preston (Wakefield Press) – fiction
There’s two books of poetry, six fiction, three nonfiction and one graphic novel. Alas, my favourite category, memoir, is light-on again this year. You can read the judges comments here.
I’m halfway through one of the books – Iris – and have a bunch on reserve at the library. Most looking forward to Bad Art Mother. Will see what I can get through before the shortlist announcement on March 30.