Five things about The Mothers by Brit Bennett –
01. The cover is perfection. To be honest, I mostly wanted to read this book because of the cover.
02. It wasn’t as contemp-lit as I was expecting…
03. There were some thoughtful moments but on the whole, for a story about extremely sensitive issues, I wasn’t emotionally engaged.
Grief was not a line, carrying you infinitely further from loss.
04. I didn’t care for the Greek chorus at all.
05. I always like a story about friends – the two girls in The Mothers were perhaps an unlikely match but opposites attract and all that… Was it likely the friendship would have endured given the circumstances? I’m not convinced (again, there was something missing on an emotional level).
2.5/5 Didn’t meet my expectations.